Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A Character Study - Rose and Dimitri

The day for flowers, hearts and candy is almost here, and it seems that many of my fellow bloggers have romance on their minds. I've been thinking about it too, in bookish terms, of course. One of my favorite series is the Vampire Academy series. I read them in late 2011, one right after the other. The series has everything I love and need in great books - a kick ass heroine, lots of action, vampires, and a great love story. In honor of Valentine's Day, let's take a closer look at that last one, shall we? (Beware of spoilers)

Not Off To A Great Start
Rose first meets Dimitri when he plays creeper around her apartment. He was sent to bring her and her BFF Lissa back to school, and Rose isn't happy about it. She tries to beat him up, but Dimitri is 6'7" and built like a brick shithouse, so she doesn't get very far. But, even in this crazy, amped up situation, Dimitri sees something in Rose that he admires.

"Doing that... protecting her like that - it was very brave." He paused. "Stupid, but still brave."
- Dimitri, Vampire Academy

Love Is In The Air
It's obvious that Dimitri isn't like most guys. Sure, he likes big boobs and a pretty face, but what he is really attracted to is a girl's character. He must respect her before he can love her. And, in his mind, you can't have one without the other. Strength of character is paramount to Dimitri. And, he finds it in Rose in spades.

"I can't do it by myself," I whispered.
"You can," he said. There was a tremulous note in his voice. "You're strong—you're so, so strong. It's why I love you.” 
- Rose and Dimitri, Shadow Kiss

Rose is looking for someone her equal. She's an amazing fighter, she shirks authority when the situation calls for it, and above all else, she is dedicated to protecting her charge. I don't think Rose could be with someone who didn't feel the same way.

"I'd never met anyone else who took being a guardian so seriously, who understood all the life-and-death consequences... We might get lonely sometimes. We might have to put our fun on hold. But that was the way it had to be. We understood each other. Our lives would never be easy."
- Rose, Vampire Academy

True Love Never Runs Smooth
As is always the case, there's trouble in paradise. In the beginning, Dimitri puts the brakes on things between them because he's afraid his feelings will impair his judgment. It's a sound argument. It you were in a life or death situation and you could save a co-worker or a lover, who would YOU pick?

"If I let myself love you, I won't throw myself in front of her. I'll throw myself in front of you,"
-Dimitri, Vampire Academy

But, in the end their love wins out and they decide to try and find a way to make it all work. Until he gets turned into a bad guy and Rose makes the agonizing decision to kill him since that is what he would have wanted. Can you even imagine that? I know I can't. Yet, Rose gives it the old college try. It's not her fault that her stake misses the mark.

Happily Ever After
Rose and Dimitri make it through almost certain death (on both of their parts), and other potential love interests to end up together in the end. I think it's that aforementioned strength of character that leads them through the rough stuff, and a deep seated and everlasting love for one another to sustain them. This is my favorite bookish couple in books. Who is yours?




2 comments:

  1. Great post Krista!!! I loved this series as well, it was one of the fist series I read after Twilight that got me into YA big time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could read this post, Krista. I've been sitting on book one of this series for a long time. I should read it soon ;)

    ReplyDelete