Friday, April 5, 2013

Serials...to read or not to read

Today I wanted to talk a little about serials. Not serial killers but book serials. It seems like serials are slowly becoming the next big thing. Authors will release short bursts of a story every week or so. The serials I’ve been seeing everywhere lately are the Debt Collector serials.



Summary of Delirium (Debt Collector 1)

What’s your life worth on the open market?
A debt collector can tell you precisely.

Lirium plays the part of the grim reaper well, with his dark trenchcoat, jackboots, and the black marks on his soul that every debt collector carries. He’s just in it for his cut, the ten percent of the life energy he collects before he transfers it on to the high potentials, the peoplw who will make the world a better place with their brains, their work, and their lives. That hit of energy, a bottle of vodka, and a visit from one Madam Anastazja’s sex workers keep him alive, stable, and mostly sane… until he collects again. But when his recover ritual is disrupted by a sex worker who isn’t what she seems, he has to choose between doing an illegal it for a girl whose story has more holes than his soul or facing the bottle along – a dark pit he’s not sure he’ll be able to climb out of again.

Contains mature content and themes.

Delirium is approximately 12,000 words or 48 pages, and is one of nine episodes in the first season of The Debt Collector serial. This dark and gritty future-noir is about a world where your life-worth is tabulated on the open market and going into debt risks a lot more than your credit rating.

Susan Kaye Quinn's website
Debt Collector series on Goodreads, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble


Even the book description explains that these serials are divided up into seasons. The first season will have 9 episodes. So that's essentially 9 novellas in just the first season alone. I have a very hard time convincing myself to start reading these. It's not like reading a book then moving on until the next book comes out, you're pretty much in limbo constantly. Imagine reading a normal length book but only reading one chapter every two weeks. I'm sure a lot people have no problems doing this, or even prefer it, but it's not for me.

Rhiannon Frater is also doing something similar with her In Darkness We Must Abide episodes. As some of you may know I'm a huge fan of Rhiannon Frater BUT (there's always a but) I haven't been able to talk myself into reading the first two serials she has released. Luckily she also plans to release the serials in an omnibus later this year.



Summary of Death Comes Home (In Darkness We Must Abide #1)

In Darkness We Must Abide is the epic saga of one young woman caught in the dangerous world of the creatures of the night.

Already living in the shadows due to her albinism, Vanora is just a little girl when her older brother inadvertently unleashes a terrible evil from the family crypt that changes their lives forever.

As she grows up in a world where beautiful deadly beings hunt by night, one captures her eye and her heart. Yet, can she trust this mysterious Armando? For there is a powerful entity plotting to claim her shen she reaches adulthood in order to fulfill an ancient prophecy, and her enemy has enveloped her in a web of deceit, casting doubt on all she believes to be true. Soon, she will have to fight not only to save those she loves, but also for her very soul.

Rhiannon Frater delivers a chilling adventure once again with this multi-part epic serial with a dynamic cast, old school vampires, bloody action, a smoldering forbidden love, and a terrifying villain set against the backdrop of a modern day vampire war.

Each episode will be between 10,000 and 20,000 words with new installments being published every 2 to 3 weeks.

Rhiannon Frater's website
In Darkness We Must Abide on Goodreads, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble

What you think about serials? Do you love them? Are you hesitant to jump right in like I am?

Thanks for reading!
Greep Jen


8 comments:

  1. Very interesting post, Jen.

    This is the first I've heard of this type of writing. On the one hand, I think it's brilliant. I defiinitely support new and creative ways to get ANYONE to read. Maybe bite sized books will boost general reading interest.

    On the other hand, I'm not likely to get into it. I'm with you, I don't want a story strung out for so long.

    Trusting to capitalism, tho, I'd probably read the Omnibuses that will inevitably appear as "seasons" are completed.

    It's certainly an interesting development in the reading community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'll read Rhiannon Frater's omnibus when it's published...because it's Rhiannon Frater...come on now! But I'm not sure when I'll tackle the Debt Collector 'series'

      Delete
  2. Hm, I haven't heard of this kind of story telling either! But I kind of think it's brilliant. It's sort of like reading comic books (which you guys know I love), just without the art. I may have to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great marketing tool to get people (most people) hooked on your writing over a longer time period. If you like what you read you'll keep coming back.

      Delete
  3. I have read the Debt Collector series by Susan Kaye Quinn and I really enjoy it so far. The episodes are short enough to read in one sitting. I think it's great and her series is releashed an episode a week and the later episodes one in two weeks. So you don't have to wait too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'series' does sound interesting...but I think I'll have to wait until more are published.

      Delete
  4. Ilona Andrews and Robin McKinley both have current serials. I really enjoy them -- they're free -- but I also like to wait until I can read a few sections at a time because I'm not that patient :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren Barnholdt has the Witches of Santa Anna serials too. I read the first 8 or 9 all in one shot and never read any more of them. Plus it frustrates me that it's practically impossible to find information on when new ones are coming out.

    ReplyDelete