Monday, April 8, 2013

It's Monday! What are You Reading

3
Welcome to It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from!

As part of this weekly meme, Shiela at Book Journey encourages others to visit participating memes, by offering a weekly contest for those who visit 10 or more of the Monday Meme participants and leave a comment telling her how many you visited.  **You do not have to have a blog to participate! You receive one entry for every 10 comments.  Just make sure to post on her blog and tell her how many in the comment area.
She offers a $5 Amazon gift card to the weeks winner.


This week I'm reading Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy #1) by Jacqueline Carey. I'm not very far into it yet, but it seems pretty interesting so far. It's nice to step away from PnR/UF from time to time. And this book feels very grown up which I don't always feel when reading PnR/UF or more traditional Fantasy, even when the book I'm reading is not Young Adult. Just prior to starting it, I finished Fire Study by Maria V. Snyder. It's a perfect example of what i'm talking about.  Overall it was a very enjoyable book, but despite violence, death, and sexual inuendo, the book just didn't seem very grown up.

I'm listening to KD as an audible title and i'm not really sure how I feel about the narrator yet. Anne Flosnik has a British accent which isn't a horrible thing but I'm not sure it's right for the setting.  More, she sounds a little too old and gentile for the PoV that is the focus, but as I said, I'm still early in the book.


I'm not making much progress, but i'm still working my way thru Destroy Me (Shatter Me 1.5) by Tahereh Mafi. Sadly, I'm not sure I've read ANY of it since my last blog post. I really need to get on it. I have Unravel Me (Shatter Me 2) waiting in the wings and I am very much looking forward to starting it, but prioritzing ACTUAL reading is really very difficult.  The book is a novella tho, so I could probably read what's left of it in an evening if I would just set aside a night to do it.



Finally, Jessa and I are still skype reading Outlander (Outlander 1) by Diana Gabaldon.  Unlike Destroy Me, we are making pretty good progress with it. It's a huge book tho so it's just going to take time.  We skype pretty regularly, but of course things often come up in either her schedule or mine, and distractions are rampant when we do get to skype. So far it's been a really good book made even more enjoyable by sharing it with my bestie in this manner. We're getting close to half way done and I'm pretty sure we're going to read another one after.  This is just too much fun ;)



Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Outlander is SUCH a good read! I have a friend who has read the whole series multiple times! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved both Shatter Me and Unravel Me, though I haven't read Destroy Me yet. After reading Unravel Me, I've really begun to like Warner, so i would love to see things from his eyes. Hope you enjoy it once you finally finish it.

    My Monday Post! :)
    ~ Gabbi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kushiel's Dart was a really great book. I hope you enjoy it.
    Check out my Monday post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read A Shade of Vampire by Bella Forrest – it is a debut and it's selfpublished, and I was very pleasantly surprised. how to read faster

    ReplyDelete