Monday, April 22, 2013

The Host


I scheduled this to post yesterday, and have no idea what I did wrong. I was driving from Dallas yesterday, so I knew I wouldn't have time to post.  Sorry about the delay...

A couple weekends ago I went to see The Host with my bookie bestie, Jessa, while she was in town from Dallas.  We both had read the book years ago and neither of us bothered to refresh our memories before going to see the movie. 

In some ways I think not having the book fresh in your mind is a wonderful way to enjoy an adaptation like this.  It can be a rediscovery of sorts, and even better, changes made to the book hurt less when you can't really remember if what you just saw was a change or not.

Going in, each of us remembered different aspects of the book and neither of us really remembered more than the general outlines of the story. There was frequent whispering throughout as different scenes jogged different memories for each of us. It was fun to share the experience that way, although if the theater had been a bit less sparse, we'd probably have been shushed a lot.

It's interesting because Jessa tends more towards Romance type novels than I do (although i love me a good romance) and I tend more towards U/F and SciFi than she does (although she loves her some good fantasy). Before the movie when we were sharing our recollections of the book, based on what we had seen in the trailer, she thought it looked like they had played up the romance more than she remembered and i thought it was pretty much on track.

Her recollection was that the book centered more on Melanie's internal fight to throw off the "Soul" and the external "war" to liberate the human race.  My recollection was that it was essentially a story about Melanie's strong desire to reconnect with her lost love.  I've heard a lot of people say that they felt the romance angle was played up, but to me it didn't feel that way.

On the whole, I liked the book, but it wasn't the second coming or anything. It was a solid three stars for me, fairly mediocre SciFi, but it was written far better than the Twilight Series was (which although not really comparable to the Host, I did actually enjoy more despite the problematic writing). I'm pretty sure Jessa gave the book three stars as well.  Good, but nothing to write home about.

As far as the movie itself goes. I really enjoyed it.  Some of the acting was below par, but that's true of all of the Twilight movies as well. I'm not going to say I liked the movie better than the book, but I do think the movie got a boost from my foggy memory of the written work and low expectations.  Jessa didn't like it as much as I did, but she didn't hate the movie.  All in all, I think it was a fairly successful and faithful adaptation.

So, have you seen it? What did you think?

Trailer available at:
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3272714009/

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I watched it a couple of days ago but I haven't read the book in about a year and a half. So I wasn't bothered by some of the changes. I thought it was a decent adaptations and as a stand alone film I enjoyed it. Although I did love the book when I first read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed it. I also haven't re-read the book in a couple of years, but I know I thought it was better than Twilight (despite loving Twilight too...). Seeing the movie just made me want to read the book again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My solemn duty, dear, is to serve and honor you…

    I looove to giveth unto thee ideas,
    thots you never thot of:
    the picturesque protagonist, par excellence,
    the non-perishables, the luxurious ditzy-glitz:
    the generous, undiluted expansion of d’bizarre;
    the epic endoorphins - an open door to an
    onomatopoeia Vernacular;
    the high-flying, barnstorming,
    toxic firewurKS from yeee-haw KS
    taking you in a completely new direction
    than where you originally planned!!
    O! the mind doth boggle, girly-whirly!!

    Why else does a moth fly FROM the night
    than to a bold, attractive candle Light??
    Don’t let His extravagant Brilliance be extinguished.
    You’re creative, yes?
    Then, fly-away with U.S. to the antidote…

    Whether you obtain morality4mortality to wiseabove
    or just glean tantalizing specimens for thy next best seller,
    while I realize my penname is quite morbid, yet,
    you shall find in our blogs a lotta (subliminal) moxie
    which has taken this sinfull mortal yeeeeers to compile:
    I lay it ALL out for you, dear, with All-Star-Oxygems:

    Wouldn’t ya love an endless eternity
    of aplomBombs falling on thy indelible cranium?
    An XtraXcitinXpose with no zooillogical-expiration-date?
    An IQ much higher than K2?
    An extraordinarily, anti-establishment-victory
    With both sardonic, satirical wit Who’s savvy
    and avant-guarde-humility??
    Here’s what the exquisite, prolific GODy sed
    (with a most-excellent-detector of bull§ht):

    “Faith, hope, and love,
    the greatest of these is love -
    jump into faith...
    and you'll VitSee with love”
    Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe (what I write);
    God believes in you.

    Meet me Upstairs, girl, where the Son never goes down
    from a super-passionate, lucrative iconoclasm where you’ll find
    nonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsX…
    of deluxe-HTTP [<- pi] opportunities for excitement BTW.

    Do it. Do the deed, dude. Sign into the Big-Zaftig-House.

    PS “It is impossible that anyone should NOT receive all that they have believed and hoped to obtain; it gives Me great pleasure when they hope great things from Me and I will always give them more than they expect”
    -our Lord Jesus to sister Gertrude

    ReplyDelete